Monday, April 1, 2013

Sleep Training

When Henry was small, less than a month old, there was a period of time that he'd only sleep if he was on someone. I remember having my sister come over early one morning to take Henry so I could sleep since, at the time, I wasn't comfortable sleeping while holding a baby. He eventually learned to sleep when put down but always slept more soundly when in someone's arms. So, to get more sleep, I started sleeping with Henry, which worked for awhile until he started squirming in his sleep. He wouldn't be awake but he'd wake me up. Finally, I said it was time for him to sleep in his own bed.
When he was born, as you recall, he was sleeping in a travel bed next to our bed. At nearly four months he was getting close to out growing that bed so off to Ikea we went to buy him a convertible crib that'll last him through the toddlers years (or until his younger sibling needs it). We had a plan; We'd start putting him down in the crib for naps on regular schedule (2 hours after the last time he woke) and once spring break started for me, we'd start putting him in the crib at night. Then he started squirming in his sleep and I decided that if I was going to lose sleep because of the baby, I might as well be helping him learn to sleep on his own. So, the weekend before finals, Henry slept in his own bed.
The first night, Henry was up every couple of hours, needing the simple comfort of someone's hand on his back. Because of this, I took one side of the crib off and pulled it next to our bed so that when Henry needed comfort, I didn't need to get out of bed to do it.
It's been nearly three weeks and Henry's crib has moved to the foot of our bed and he is sleeping through the night with minimal fuss. Every couple nights he'll wake up at 4 or 5 needing a snack but then he'll go back down and sleep till 8, or at least stay quite the whole time (he may be waking up and not letting us know). I hear tell of babies who sleep through the night reverting to up every few hours during growth spurts and the like but for now, I'll enjoy my 8 hours while the baby sleeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment