Sunday, January 13, 2013

Happy New Year

So here we are, a new year, nearly two months as parents.

It's been interesting. At his three day check up, Henry had lost 11% of his birth weight (up to 10% is normal) so they had us supplement the breast milk he was getting with formula. After continued frustration with breast feeding, I went and saw a lactation specialist. There we discovered that I was not making nearly enough milk, the cause of which we still don't know. For awhile I pumped to get what little milk I could and to stimulate milk production but it was so much work for such little gain, that I've given up. When we started giving Henry formula, he became a different baby. Before, he was sleeping for an hour at a time (at most), waking up fussy, eating and going straight back to sleep. Now that he's getting enough to eat, he's awake and alert for hours at a time.

On our way home from our first lactation appointment, Henry and I got rear ended. Actually, the guy behind us got rear ended causing him to rear end us. Because of prior damage (prior to us owning it) our little Focus got totaled. We spent most of December carless while we waited for the insurance companies to pay for our car, relying on our moms for rides. Christmas eve, we received our insurance checks and drove up to Seattle where we had found a Mitsubishi Gallant that fit all our needs.

Christmas was a whirlwind of family gatherings. Christmas eve we had dinner with my older sister's extended family. Christmas morning, my parents, sisters, sister-in-law and niece and nephew came over for breakfast and presents. Lawrence and Maria had Christmas dinner at home while Henry and I went up to Millcreek to have dinner with my mom's family. The next day we had intended to go down to Portland to celebrate my cousin Olivia's birthday and visit my dad's family but Christmas night, Henry developed cold symptoms so we decided to stay home. Sometime in early February we'll make a trip down there so Henry can meet his great grandparents and his great-great grandmother.

In the past two weeks, Lawrence and I have both gone back to school. We chose our schedules so that Lawrence is going to school during the day and I'm taking night classes so that we don't need external childcare, though my parents take him twice a week and Maria tends to care for him in the evenings. Lawrence seems to be enjoying his residential construction courses. He comes home everyday with new tidbits that's he's learned. I feel confident about my classes this quarter; anatomy & physiology and organic chemistry. As long as I continue to making studying a priority, I know I can pass these classes.

Henry continues to grow and surprise us. He now weighs over 9lbs12oz and is smiling at us and batting at toys. He's just an awesome little guy. I've been uploading pictures to a Shutterfly share site, Henry's Happy Adventure, about once a week. Check it out and remember that if you have pictures of Mr. Henry, you can upload them to the site as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment