Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lesson Learned from a Migraine Headache

Last Tuesday, near the end of Zumba class, I started getting symptoms of a migraine headache. I've been getting migraines for years, since I was in elementary school. Luckily, I don't get these headaches frequently, only about once every 3-6 months. So Tuesday, I started loosing my peripheral vision on my right side. As I drove home, I called Lawrence to ask him to make me a cup of coffee since caffeine can reduce migraine pain. At home, I called the consulting nurse to ask about pregnancy safe treatment options (acetaminophen), drank my coffee and crawled into bed. Luckily, it was only then that the real pain started. Two hours later, it was over and I was finally able to eat dinner.

So, what lesson had I learned? At the peak of my pain, I had my face all scrunched up, I was resisting the pain, and you know what? When I was resisting the pain, it was worse. I would notice I was tensing up and how the pain increased then take a deep breath, relax and the pain subsided (though it didn't go away totally). I am going to endeavor to remember this while in labor.Perhaps I should have Lawrence remind me while it's happening.

Resisting pain makes it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment