Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Baby Names & Family Names

Did you see it in the last post?
It's OK if you missed it, I added his name into the post after it had been published.
We did decide on Poptart's name yesterday after the ultrasound. Of course, it wasn't a quick decision. Lawrence and I have had many a conversation revolving what we ought to name the baby, especially if it's a boy. Lawrence was really lobbying for Arthur but it just didn't feel right to me. I kept throwing out names from books I've read; Richard, Chase, Paul, Nathan, Lucas, Logan. One night, I ended up watching The Tudors with my dad and the name "came" to me.

Henry

Ok, I know Henry VIII is not the best example of an awesome Henry, but there are a lot of other good examples of Henrys. Lawrence keeps referencing Henry V and I can think of two very nice TV characters named Henry, the little kid from Once Upon a Time and the "mechanic" from Eureka.

As for our Henry's middle name, I convinced Lawrence to let us honor my mother's family by using my mother's maiden name as Henry's middle one. I especially wanted to do this because my mom's generation was the last with the last name and her only brother (with the same last name, she also has a half brother with a different last name) passed away before passing his name on. Our son will be Henry Jansen.

Now, the last piece of the puzzle, our baby's last name. If you saw it in the last post, you may have noticed that it is different from both Lawrence's and my last names, for now at least. Next week, Lawrence and I are getting married but instead of me taking his last name (or him taking mine or hyphenating or me keeping mine), we are both taking on a new last name. We will be the Halom family.
So Poptart will be Henry Jansen Halom.

No comments:

Post a Comment